A good place to start to find out about the history of Dundalk is the Louth County Museum. It resides in a warehouse on Jocelyn Street (beside the tourist office). It uses a variety of artifacts and documents to tell the stories of local industries, from coopering to cigarettes. The museum is a mix of high-tech display and traditional exhibits with a wealth of material on offer. During the 1960s, German Henkel bomber cockpits were sent over to Dundalk to be made into bubble cars - you'll find a 1966 model on the first-floor landing. The top two floors have recently been set aside to house a new exhibition that focuses on the area's wealth of Stone Age history.
St Patrick's Cathedral built between 1835 and 1847 in Francis Street has a heady mix of towers, turrets and crenulated walls and is a reasonable imitation of King's College Chapel, Cambridge. Inside are some vibrant mosaics using gold pieces in abundance to depict biblical stories. The monument opposite the cathedral is known as the Kelly Monument and was erected in memory of a local sailor who drowned at sea in 1858.Carlingford 1841
Dundalk’s nineteenth-century Neoclassical Courthouse on the corner of Crowe and Clanbrassil Street is one of Dundalk’s finest buildings. The open Doric portico leads in to an airy, classically proportioned interior. Outside the courthouse in the square is the stone Maid of Éireann, commemorating the Fenian Rising of 1798. It is unequivocally dedicated to "the martyrs in the cause of liberty who fought and died in the struggle against English Tyranny and foreign rule in Ireland" - a reminder of Dundalk’s long history and perhaps equally long memory.
Dundalk's oldest remaining building is Kelly's Tower, a four-storey Franciscan bell tower, dating from the middle of the thirteenth century, on the corner of Mill Street and Castle Road. The tower was sacked in 1315 by Edward Bruce and again, in 1538, by Lord Deputy Grey – just two examples of Dundalk’s long history of attacks.
Carrolls tobacco factory is a well-maintained Irish Modernist building, designed by Scott Tallon Walker and is situated a mile south of Dundalk on the Dublin road (N1). At the front can be found a beautiful sculpture by Gerda Froemmel reflected in an artificial lake, and contains a notable collection of modern Irish art.The hill of Faughart, just three miles north of Dundalk, is one of the areas most famous historical sites. Many archaeological remains including the ruin of a mediaeval church, a motte castle and an iron-age hill fort have been found here. It is also the reputed setting for the mythologically significant Cattle Raid of Cooley.
In Dundalk and Louth golf could be said to be a way of life. The county has nine courses, all of different variety, from lush parkland setting to the world renowned links at Baltray, just outside Drogheda. All courses are but a short drive from Lismar – making it an ideal base to explore all the wonderful golf course the Dundalk region has to offer.Golfer
North of Dundalk on the shores of Carlingford Lough is Greenore Golf Club – a short drive from Lismar. This is an 18-hole championship parkland course that the visiting golfer will find a challenge to play.
East towards the villages of Termonfeckin and Baltray, you will find Seapoint, designed by Des Smith & Co. – this is becoming one of the top links in Ireland offers a solid test to any golfer. Baltray also known as County Louth Golf Club is ranked among the top links courses in the world.
South of Dundalk, there is a championship course at Blackrock known as Dundalk Golf Club. This club has hosted many Irish Championships over the years and is also home of the Irish P.G.A.
There is also a number of inexpensive 'pay and play' courses in the Dundalk area, including Ballymascanlon, Killin Park and Carnbeg. Southwards in the town of Ardee, you will find the Ardee Golf Club. This course will any golfer and visitors are always welcome. Further south along the the N2 is Townley Hall Golf Club. This 9-hole golf course is relatively young but is proving very popular with all golfers.For an interactive map of all the course in the area click here
Distinct street precincts like Bridge Street, Church Street, Clanbrassil Street, Earl Street, Jocelyn Street and Market Sq and Park Street offers over 2000 individual outlets with leading brands across the value range, operating alongside a raft of service outlets and providers. Local produce from bakeries, butchers, fishmongers, and vegetable outlets is readily available.
Three shopping centres - Carroll Village Shopping Centre, Dundalk Shopping Centre and the newer Longwalk Shopping Centre behind the bus station hold most of the national food retailers and theme outlets. A further major retail development on the Ramparts is soon to begin construction.
A new retail park on the Dublin Road offers a mix of local and international large goods outlets including Harvey Norman, Atlantic Homecare and PC World. Car parking on-street and centrally located is quite plentiful and inexpensive if you are required to pay.
Café’s, Fast Food outlets and Restaurants all exist in abundance in the central precinct as well as 27 pubs, many serving excellent pub food.
A public swimming pool, library, Town Hall Venue and Parks including Stephenstown Pond, Agnes Burns Cottage, Patrick Kavanagh Centre, Ice House Hill, The Marshes, The Navvy Bank, Cuchulainn’s Stone and The Tain Trail are all within easy distance of Dundalk. There is also a 7 screen Cinema complex at Carroll Village by Longwalk and a race track for greyhound racing and horse trotting.
Dundalk is located only 10 miles from Carlingford Lough, which has excellent water activities. Leisure facilities in the area include golf (15 courses), horse riding & racing, tennis, rugby, soccer and GAA. Indoor facilities include gyms, indoor swimming pools, badminton, snooker, indoor soccer, drama & musical societies.